For those of you who enjoy a busy nightlife, or simply like going out for the occasional drink, do not despair, Yaroslavl is full of places to go. In general, drink is cheap, and places are open late, sometimes round the clock, even on weekdays. There are too many venues to mention them all but here is a bit of an insight:
- Café Bristol, located on Ulitza Kirova, and Indigo, on Ulitza Svobody, have probably been most popular with the students this year. Both are fairly cheap - Indigo being just that bit cheaper, serving a bottle of ‘shampanskyoe’ for only 250 roubles! - And, neither seems adverse to large groups of ‘tipsy’ English students! Bristol and Indigo are ideal for ‘pre-drinking’ before going to a club, and Bristol with its dance floor is even quite suitable to stay in all evening.
- If you’re looking for a quiet drink, and are willing to pay that bit more, Mojito, behind Kirova, and Mojo, on Svobody, are that bit classier and civilised. They do not take well to large groups, and Mojo, in particular, is known to be picky about its cliental. However, do not be too put off by the ‘face control’ notice on the door. As long as you dress reasonably smart (that means a definite no to trainers and hoodies!), and are not already drunk, you should be fine.
- As for nightclubs… Joy Party, along the Volga, Air, on Ulitza Kirova, and Piatnitza, right of the Circus on Ulitza Svobody, are all worth a visit. Joy Party is the cheesiest of the three. It has quite a ‘school disco’ feel, but is a lot of fun. Piatnixa is a Wednesday night favourite. It has different floors playing different music, and so caters for many tastes. Finally, Air, probably the biggest of the three, is a great night out – a bit of advice though is to go a bit earlier than you would go to the other two as it too has a ‘face control’ policy.
Other places to mention briefly:
- Akter, Ulitza Kirova: 24 hour bar, but sometimes attracts a strange crowd! It has proven useful for watching the football however, because it is one of the few places happy to show it.
- Ars Forum, Ulitza Sverdlova: nice chill out place during the day and evening, service is a bit slow, and they rarely have any of food on the menu, but the drinks are good and so is the shisha!
- Coffee In, Ulitza Republicanskya: downstairs is a nice chill out area with comfy couches, upstairs is a restaurant area. This too is open 24-hours; in fact, it seems to have become a popular breakfast spot for those not ready to venture home after a night of clubbing!
- Vanilla Sky, below Joy Party: one of the few places in Yaroslavl to serve decent wine. You will be paying closer to English prices here; however, it is a lovely setting for a quiet drink or meal, and probably the best place if you are hoping to pick up a Russian Oligarch!